CHARLOTTETOWN – The contest to choose a new leader for the Green Party has started! It begins today at the Delta hotel in Charlottetown where it will finish eight months from now during the first week in October. Interim Green Party Leader Jo-Ann Roberts unveiled the contest details at a news conference today.
“We have structured this contest to cast a big net. We hope to capture the imagination of a wide and diverse set of contestants, new members, and supporters,” said Ms. Roberts. “We believe setting the initial entry fee to $10,000 makes the contest accessible to a broad range of contestants from across the country. Contestants have six months to build their profile and raise funds, before the second stage fee is due. This is a great opportunity for anyone who is interested in taking a leading role on the national stage in the fight against climate change. The Green Party came out of the last election with a Caucus of three MPs and received over a million votes across the country.”
Elizabeth May stepped down in November after 13 years as Leader of the Party. She continues to serve as Green Party Parliamentary Leader in the House of Commons.
The Green Party will elect its new leader with a one member, one vote process that will be accessible across Canada online and in person at the GPC Convention 2020 here in Charlottetown. Green voting is open to members as young as 14 and we hope that Canada’s youth will join Green members in helping us define this next chapter in our history.
All of the details of the contest are available on the Green Party website. Voting for the leader will close on October 3rd and the new leader will be announced at convention.
The Green Party of Canada’s Summary of the Leadership Contest rules:
First application stage:
- Contest begins February 4, 2020 at 6.00 a.m. PST. Applications will be received until June 3, 2020 6.00 p.m. PST.
- Initial, non-refundable application fee: $1,000.00.
- Non-refundable initial contest entry fee: $9,000 - due within 10 days of application being approved.
- Nomination: 100 Party members signatures, including at least 20 Young Greens.
Second application stage:
- Non-refundable secondary contest fee: $40,000 - due July 31, 2020.
- The spending cap for each contestant’s campaign is $500,000.
- Between August 1, 2020 and September 1, 2020, each applicant must provide signatures from 150 Party members, including at least 20 members residing in a minimum of five of the six regions of Canada.
- Online voting commences on September 26, 2020 and closes on October 3, 2020. A mail in ballot will also be available by request.
The Party will invite applicants to participate in a minimum of two debates, one in French and one in English.
Watch the Green Party Video - https://youtu.be/yqxLtlill2g
# # #
For more information or to arrange an interview:
Assistant to Ms. Roberts
For inquiries in French
Deputy Leader of the Green Party